ABOUT IAN SAMPSON
Ian Sampson is a highly sought after Non-Executive Director and Advisor because he offers tremendous expertise in solving complex and highly sensitive people, leadership and organisational development issues.
Ian has worked with an impressive list of over 45 national and international companies over the last 35 years including BHP, Qantas, Sugar Research And Development Corporation, One Steel, Lonmin Platinum PLC, DRD Gold, Tomago Aluminium, CSR, BP, Caltex, Atlantic Ltd, Whyteco, Audrey Page and Associates, Compass Coal, Downer Wdi, Thiess, Campbell page and more.
Known for his insightful ability to quickly unravel seeming intractable situations to provide fast and ethical strategic guidance with a clear path of action, Ian is an invaluable asset to Boards and CEOs of both public and private companies.
- Ian is an experienced company director. He is currently a non-executive director of a public health insurance company and has been a non-executive director of a Australian Government Research and Development Corporation. He has 20+ years’ experience as an executive director of a range of companies and organisations in the private and not-for-profit sectors.
- Ian currently chairs a Nominations, Remuneration and Development Committee and has served as Chairman and member of Audit and Strategy Committees. He will take up the Chairmanship of a public company in 2015.
- He has been a senior executive in steel manufacturing, building and construction, mining, sugar and professional services businesses. He has been an active member of teams running organisations. He has had functional responsibility for managing and interacting with people, stakeholder relations, safety and risk management, quality development, organisational culture and sustainability.
- Ian has business, government and community links and uses extensive networks in the public and private
sectors, institutions and associations.
- He has run a successful strategic advisory consultancy since 2004.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Non-Executive and Executive Director with public companies, community businesses and Federal Government
- Experienced Chair of Audit, Business Strategy and Nominations, Development and Remuneration
- Extensive business, general management and influencing skills developed in a range of management
and consulting roles across many industry sectors.
- Corporate governance experience gained from professional study, company roles and Board membership.
- Works with a collegial approach and is able to present independent thinking
- Able to weigh the business and people aspects of Board decisions.
- Strong skills and experience in planning and strategy, organisational change, policy development and
- An experienced professional development coach and mentor to senior executives and CEOs !
LYSAGHT PEOPLECARE LTD
$100M+ Revenue. Provides health management services throughout Australia through three businesses including The Reserve Bank of Australia and a church group.
Chair Nominations, Remuneration and Development Committee (2006 – Current)
Business Strategy Committee (2006 – 2008)
Finance, Audit and Risk Committee (2009)
University Scholarship Foundation
Advisory Board Member (2013)
YUNGABURRA PTY LTD
Investment and Superannuation Trustee Company Director (2009 – Current)
PREVIOUS DIRECTORSHIPS SUGAR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Commonwealth Statutory Corporation. Directed $11m p.a. of research funding
Chairman of Audit Committee (2008 – 2011)
CSR SUGAR PTY LTD
Australia’s largest sugar company
Executive Director (2000 – 2004)
REFINED SUGAR SERVICES PTY LTD
Sugar milling and refining company
Executive Director (1999 – 2004)
KOPPERN (Aust) PTY LTD
International heavy equipment manufacturer
Alternative Executive Director (1997 – 1999)
BHP NZ SUPERANNUATION FUND
Superannuation Services for 2500 BHP employees
Trustee (1993 – 1997)
EEO TRUST OF NZ
Leading private sector organisation promoting EEO
Governor (1994 – 1997)
SA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
South Australia’s largest university
Councillor (1989 – 1992)
IR SAMPSON 01/04/04 – Current
Strategic Advisory Services
Accomplishments: Work with Boards, CEOs and Executives to facilitate organisational renewal, reorganisation, implementation of best practices in building and construction, mining, research, manufacturing and airlines industries. Create personal advisory relationships to offer independent views and guidance.
THIESS PTY LTD 13/03/08 – 28/01/09
Executive General Manager People and Sustainability
Accomplishments: Successfully exercised full functional accountability for 14000 employees.
LONMIN PLC SOUTH AFRICA 01/06/06 – 31/11/07
Vice President, Human Capital
Accomplishments: Managed transformation of Human Capital function as part of an organisation-wide program
to transition to Black Economic Empowerment. Selected and coached successor.
CSR LIMITED 01/07/1999 – 31/03/04
General Manager Human Resources and Stakeholder Relations, CSR Sugar
Accomplishments: Established the corporate human resources function. Lead a program to build the leadership
capability of 150 representatives from all sectors of the sugar industry in Queensland.
BHP COMPANY LTD 01/01/1998 – 01/07/1999
Manager Human Resources, HBI
Accomplishments: Managed the human resources function through the construction and commissioning
phase of the $3bn capital program
BHP COMPANY LTD 01/09/1993 – 01/01/1998
General Manager Human Resources and External Affairs, BHP NZ Steel
Accomplishments: Managed two projects to transform the cost base and operating culture of the business to
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
- LL.B (UNSW)
- B Comm. (UNSW)
- BHP Co Ltd Global Leadership Program
- Sugar Industry “Innovator of the Year” Award from Australian Government
- NZ Institute of Management scholarship to Henley Management College, UK,
- AICD Company Directors Diploma
- George Mason University, Virginia, USA Organisational Transformation Program
- Fellow Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow Australian Institute of Management